[okfn-br] inaugrating the list

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton137 em gmail.com
Quarta Junho 29 15:09:17 UTC 2011

Hi everybody!

I was talking to Rufus about the idea of a chapter of Open Knowledge
Foundation (OKF) in Brazil, in the same way we have a chapter for
Wikimedia Foundation Brazil [1] to put in contact people interested in
open knowledge and, more particularly, open data, so we have started
this mailing list for discussing all these issues among Brazilians and
people from OKF.

So, answering the questions:

1. Language: since it's going to be a low traffic mailing list, when
there's something related to Brazilian organization among themselves,
we can use Portuguese. But if we have something with the internation
OKF staff, we can use English. Using Portuguese is important to bring
together participants not confortable in communicating in English, but
are interested in open knowledge and open data.

2. I think you can blog/tweet this, Jonathan, but since I'm travelling
throught Europe/Middle East until the end of August, I won't have much
time to help now (no Internet connection all the time). I'm going to
annouce the creation of this mailing list to Brazilian groups of
potential people willing to participate here (Transparência Hacker -
hackers for transparency -, Movimento Brasil Aberto - open Brazil
movement -, Wikimedia Brasil etc.).

I will write better soon! See you,

Tom

[1] Some people don't agree we are a chapter because we haven't
created a legal entity, as required (at the moment!). Instead, a group
of volunteers and enthuastis for free knowledge projects started doing
projects in the same way a traditional chapter does, guided by these
principles

http://br.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Statement_of_Principles

Wikimedia Foundation has hired one person, Carolina Rossini, to
analisys Brazilian situation and what will be the best for our
country. You can see more information about this project here

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global/Brazil#.28Eng..29

If you have time and interest, you can read the report about the situation here

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global/Brazil/Progress_Report#Complete_Version_-_English