[okfn-br] inaugrating the list

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray em okfn.org
Quarta Junho 29 15:27:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga
<everton137 em gmail.com> wrote:
> I was talking to Rufus about the idea of a chapter of Open Knowledge
> Foundation (OKF) in Brazil, in the same way we have a chapter for
> Wikimedia Foundation Brazil [1] to put in contact people interested in
> open knowledge and, more particularly, open data, so we have started
> this mailing list for discussing all these issues among Brazilians and
> people from OKF.

Cool!

> So, answering the questions:
>
> 1. Language: since it's going to be a low traffic mailing list, when
> there's something related to Brazilian organization among themselves,
> we can use Portuguese. But if we have something with the internation
> OKF staff, we can use English. Using Portuguese is important to bring
> together participants not confortable in communicating in English, but
> are interested in open knowledge and open data.

Fully agree. :-)

> 2. I think you can blog/tweet this, Jonathan, but since I'm travelling
> throught Europe/Middle East until the end of August, I won't have much
> time to help now (no Internet connection all the time). I'm going to
> annouce the creation of this mailing list to Brazilian groups of
> potential people willing to participate here (Transparência Hacker -
> hackers for transparency -, Movimento Brasil Aberto - open Brazil
> movement -, Wikimedia Brasil etc.).

Ok good idea. Perhaps it would be best if you and others spoke to more
people about this first - and we did an initial wave of invitations.
Then we can blog/tweet in a few weeks once more people are on board.
What do you think?