[okfn-br] Brazilian chapter focus

Augusto Herrmann augusto.herrmann em gmail.com
Quarta Novembro 2 23:07:28 UTC 2011

Hey, Tom!

I agree and think you're taking all of this in a very sensible and viable
direction, and connecting the right set of people together that could make
it work. Open education, open science, open content and data-driven
journalism are certainly very much relevant in this context.

Machado de Assis Livre sounds great! By the way, his texts are available on
the Natural Language Toolkit for Python (nltk.org). This could make it even
easier to set up the project. Also, I have some NLP ideas I'd personally
like to pursue when I have time using the Machado de Assis corpus.

About BURN ALL DOCS!!!, for those who couldn't follow the portuguese
language discussion: it's an idea I threw at the wind during Consegi, at
the hacker room. It's supposed to be a hall of shame of public bodies that
disobey the norm that mandates them to use exclusively the Open Document
Format, and who publish documents proprietary formats on the internet
anyway. Since there are no official penalties for this, and official
external Brazilian audit public bodies (CGU, TCU) haven't so far checked
this issue, that should be an incentive for them to make a conscious effort
to follow the regulation and get off the list.

As for my blog, I hope I find the time before it's too long. I have a long
backlog of ideas... :)

BTW, can you post a link to the THacker Alavetelli instance? I'm curious...

Cheers,
Augusto Herrmann