Sem assunto

Quinta Outubro 25 19:26:07 UTC 2012

organized by UNESCO, I am not sure people involved were aware of the
problems of these restrictions.

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
Open Knowledge Foundation Brasil

--e89a8f923da210b7b604cf794857

ational Resources mailing list, runned today by Athabasca University, but p=
a/mailman/listinfo/oer-community</a></div>
ere on the problems of the NC and ND restriction. There is some discussion =
going on &lt;<a href=3D"https://deimos.cs.athabascau.ca/mailman/private/oer=
-community/2012-November/000469.html">https://deimos.cs.athabascau.ca/mailm=
an/private/oer-community/2012-November/000469.html</a>&gt; (password requir=
ed, I will ask them to open, the previous one wasn&#39;t closed) and I thin=
k it is important to have UNESCO with a clear idea on the best definition o=
f open.</div>
eting, both organized by UNESCO, I am not sure people involved were aware o=
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:everton.alvarenga em okfn.org" target=3D=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex">
rif">An interesting text by Stallman, which I copy bellow and emphasize som=
e points in italic. We could improve the article on permission culture at W=
ikipedia=A0</span><a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_cultur=
e" style=3D"color:rgb(17,85,204);font-size:13px;font-family:arial,sans-seri=
f" target=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_culture</a><sp=
an style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:13px;font-family:arial,sans-serif=
">=A0</span><div>

n.org/2012/10/04/making-a-real-commons-creative-commons-should-drop-the-non=
-commercial-and-no-derivatives-licenses/" target=3D"_blank">http://blog.okf=
n.org/2012/10/04/making-a-real-commons-creative-commons-should-drop-the-non=
-commercial-and-no-derivatives-licenses/</a><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34=
);font-size:13px;font-family:arial,sans-serif">

f"><a href=3D"http://stallman.org/articles/online-education.html" style=3D"=
color:rgb(17,85,204);font-size:13px;font-family:arial,sans-serif" target=3D=
"_blank"><b>On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license</b=
></a><div style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:13px;font-family:arial,san=
s-serif">

ium">Prominent universities are using a nonfree license for their digital e=
ducational works. That is bad already, but even worse, the license they are=
 using has a serious inherent problem.</span></div>

en a work is made for doing a practical job, the users must have control ov=
er the job, so they need to have control over the work. This applies to sof=
tware, and to educational works too. For the users to have this control, th=
ey need certain freedoms (see=A0<a href=3D"http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fr=
ee-sw.html" style=3D"color:rgb(153,0,221)" target=3D"_blank">gnu.org</a>), =
and we say the work is &quot;free&quot; (or &quot;libre&quot;, to emphasize=
 we are not talking about price). For works that might be used in commercia=
l contexts, the requisite freedom includes commercial use, redistribution a=
nd modification.</p>

e Commons publishes six principal licenses. Two are free/libre licenses: th=
e Sharealike license CC-BY-SA is a free/libre license with=A0<a href=3D"htt=
p://www.gnu.org/copyleft" style=3D"color:rgb(153,0,221)" target=3D"_blank">=
copyleft</a>, and the Attribution license (CC-BY) is a free/libre license w=
ithout copyleft. The other four are nonfree, either because they don&#39;t =
allow modification (ND, Noderivs) or because they don&#39;t allow commercia=
l use (NC, Nocommercial).</p>

iew, nonfree licenses are ok for works of art/entertainment, or that presen=
t personal viewpoints (such as this article itself). Those works aren&#39;t=
 meant for doing a practical job, so the argument about the users&#39; cont=
rol does not apply. Thus, I do not object if they are published with the CC=
-BY-NC-ND license, which allows only noncommercial redistribution of exact =
copies.</p>

this license for a work does not mean that you can&#39;t possibly publish t=
hat work commercially or with modifications. The license doesn&#39;t give p=
ermission for that, but you could ask the copyright holder for permission, =
perhaps offering a quid pro quo, and you might get it. It isn&#39;t automat=
ic, but it isn&#39;t impossible.</p>

ver, two of the nonfree CC licenses lead to the creation of works that can&=
#39;t in practice be published commercially, because there is no feasible w=
ay to ask for permission. These are CC-BY-NC and CC-BY-NC-SA, the two CC li=
censes that permit modification but not commercial use.</i></p>

problem arises because, with the Internet, people can easily (and lawfully)=
 pile one noncommercial modification on another. Over decades this will res=
ult in works with contributions from hundreds or even thousands of people.<=
/i></p>

 happens if you would like to use one of those works commercially? How coul=
d you get permission? You&#39;d have to ask all the substantial copyright h=
olders. Some of them might have contributed years before and be impossible =
to find. Some might have contributed decades before, and might well be dead=
, but their copyrights won&#39;t have died with them. You&#39;d have to fin=
d and ask their heirs, supposing it is possible to identify those. In gener=
al, it will be impossible to clear copyright on the works that these licens=
es invite people to make.</i></p>

 is a form of the well-known &quot;orphan works&quot; problem, except expon=
entially worse; when combining works that had many contributors, the result=
ing work can be orphaned many times over before it is born.</i></p>

inate this problem would require a mechanism that involves asking _someone_=
 for permission (otherwise the NC condition turns into a nullity), but does=
n&#39;t require asking _all the contributors_ for permission. It is easy to=
 imagine such mechanisms; the hard part is to convince the community that o=
ne such mechanisms is fair and reach a consensus to accept it.</p>

that can be done, but the CC-BY-NC and CC-BY-NC-SA licenses, as they are to=
day, should be avoided.</p><p style=3D"font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39=
;;font-size:medium">

Unfortunately, one of them is used quite a lot. CC-BY-NC-SA, which allows n=
oncommercial publication of modified versions under the same license, has b=
ecome the fashion for online educational works. MIT&#39;s &quot;Open Course=
ware&quot; got it stared, and many other schools followed MIT down the wron=
g path. Whereas in software &quot;open source&quot; means &quot;probably fr=
ee, but I don&#39;t dare talk about it so you&#39;ll have to check for your=
self,&quot; in many online education projects &quot;open&quot; means &quot;=
nonfree for sure&quot;.</p>

 the problem with CC-BY-NC-SA and CC-BY-NC is fixed, they still won&#39;t b=
e the right way to release educational works meant for doing practical jobs=
. The users of these works, teachers and students, must have control over t=
he works, and that requires making them free. I urge Creative Commons to st=
ate that works meant for practical jobs, including educational resources an=
d reference works as well as software, should be released under free/libre =
licenses only.</p>

ators, and all those who wish to contribute to on-line educational works: p=
lease do not to let your work be made non-free. Offer your assistance and t=
ext to educational works that carry free/libre licenses, preferably copylef=
t licenses so that all versions of the work must respect teachers&#39; and =
students&#39; freedom. Then invite educational activities to use and redist=
ribute these works on that freedom-respecting basis, if they will. Together=
 we can make education a domain of freedom.</i></p>
Foundation Brasil<br>
lla Alvarenga (also Tom)<br>Open Knowledge Foundation Brasil<br>

--e89a8f923da210b7b604cf794857--