[okfn-br] OKF is doing its best to enable text and data mining research Fwd: [open-science]

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga em okfn.org
Quinta Fevereiro 7 09:55:18 UTC 2013

OKFN e ciência aberta. :) Lembrar também dos princípios Panton
http://pantonprinciples.org/ Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com>
Date: 2013/2/7
Subject: [open-science] OKF is doing its best to enable text and data
mining research
To: open-access em lists.okfn.org, open-science <open-science em lists.okfn.org>

Hi all,

sorry for all the announcements today. A lot is happening at the moment.

Not everyone may realise this but the Open Knowledge Foundation is
hugely influential:

1.) On Monday we were in Brussels at the Licences For Europe meeting,
actively participating in the first Text & Data Mining working group
meeting (#Licences4Europe on Twitter). It was largely disappointing
that the discussion was framed at the outset to exclude discussion of
the type of copyright reform many pro-access groups in the room
wanted. We hope this situation will have changed by the next working
group meeting. It was accurately described here:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130204/12241621879/eu-commission-wants-more-copyright-licensing-not-creative-commons-fair-use.shtml

2.) When journalists need quotes from people who know about the state
of open knowledge, we're an excellent organisation to ask!
In the latest edition of Nature I am quoted, representing Open
Knowledge Foundation on the subject of Creative Commons licencing of
academic research:
http://www.nature.com/news/researchers-opt-to-limit-uses-of-open-access-publications-1.12384

The very definition of open access
(http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/openaccess/read)
states that *anyone* must be able to re-use research without legal
barriers. Thus NC & ND modules of Creative Commons licences if applied
do not make that research open access, and they can significantly
hinder some re-uses like textmining.
See Joris Pekel's excellent post on some of the problems of NC for more:
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/08/consequences-risks-and-side-effects-of-the-license-module-non-commercial-use-only-2/

Ross

PS I will try and write some of this up in a prettier blogpost on the
science.okfn blog soon.

--
Ross Mounce

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org