[okfn-br] The latest from School of Data Fwd: [School-of-data-announce]

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga em okfn.org
Quarta Março 20 15:19:31 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org>
Date: 2013/3/20
Subject: [School-of-data-announce] The latest from School of Data
To: school-of-data-announce em lists.okfn.org

Howdy all,

In case you missed it, here's a quick roundup of recent happenings from the
School of Data. Info on what we've been up to and how you can get
involved...

*# Interested in leading a Data Expedition? *
*
*
Data expeditions are *learning through exploration*. We're working to
launch a new round of data expeditions in the next few months.

Are you interested in working closely with journalists and NGOs to help
them use data to work through a problem?

We're looking for a good facilitators to lead expeditions on topics they
care about around the world. We'll give you training and support throughout
the process.

If you'd like to find out more about being an expedition lead and how
people can learn from expeditions, I'll be holding a *Google Hangout Q
& A* session
on* Friday 22nd March at 15:00 UTC (11:00 EDT, 16:00 Central European
Time). Can't make this, but still interested in finding out more? Let me
know. *
*
*
For an invite to the Hangout, please either email me directly, or register
your interest in leading an expedition here: http://bit.ly/14c1WcJ

More about data expeditions can be found here:
http://schoolofdata.org/data-expeditions/

*# News*

A big welcome to Tony Hirst (@psychemedia on Twitter) - who joined the
school last week as our Data Storyteller.

*# Events *

* We're building up to our first *pilot Wrangling for Watchdogs workshop *on
26th & 27th March in Berlin with *Central and Eastern European Watchdog
organisations*. Find out more: http://bit.ly/1604jgM . *We hope to do more
of these in the future, so if you know of organisations who could benefit
from this, please do get in touch!*
*
*
* For anyone in *Berlin* on 26th March- we're also holding a *'Wrangling
for Watchdogs' meetup*from 6-8pm in Supermarkt, Brunnenstrasse 64. *Techies,
NGOs*, artists and interested observers are welcome to join us us for
lightning talks, drinks and ideas exchange on how we can bring these worlds
closer. More info here: http://bit.ly/1604hp7

* We'll also be headed to *Perugia, Italy* for the second edition of the
School of Data Journalism at the *International Journalism Festival*. In
the area? Join us there! Read more:  http://bit.ly/13b6Ff5

*## From the blog*

* Today is the launch of the *Charting for Progress* project from
Development Initiatives. There's some beautiful and clear charts aiming to
show the current data-based-thinking answers to questions such as "When is
poverty going to end? How many donors are reaching the 0.7% target? How
much does the UK spend on aid?" Read more: http://bit.ly/1605CMH
* The weekly data roundup by Neil Ashton included the latest events and
news from around the data world. http://bit.ly/1605OLQ
* Tony Hirst put together a great guide for how to use the network analysis
mapping tool, Gephi. Running it on the Twitter accounts of some of the best
funded climate change denial think-tanks, he tested whether money turned
into influence on Social Media... http://bit.ly/16062CW

More from the School soon,

Take care,

The School of Data Team

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org