[okfn-br] artigo interessante

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Segunda Agosto 4 23:45:10 UTC 2014

 “Open” Disclosure of Innovations, Incentives and Follow-on Reuse: Theory
on Processes of Cumulative Innovation and a Field Experiment in
Computational Biology
SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2288746 or
http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2288746
<http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2288746>

Kevin J. Boudreau
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=110372>
London Business School

Karim Lakhani
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=290485>
Harvard Business School - Technology and Operations Management Group;
Harvard University - Berkman Center for Internet & Society; Harvard
Institute for Quantitative Social Science

August 4, 2014

* Harvard Business School Technology & Operations Mgt. Unit Working Paper
No. 14-002 <http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2288746##>*

* Abstract: *
 Most of society's innovation systems--academic science, the patent system,
open source, etc.--are “open” in the sense that they are designed to
facilitate knowledge disclosure among innovators. An essential difference
across innovation systems is whether disclosure is of intermediate progress
and solutions or of completed innovations. We present experimental evidence
that links intermediate versus final disclosure not just with quantitative
tradeoffs that shape the rate of innovation, but with transformation of the
very nature of the innovation search process. We find intermediate
disclosure has the advantage of efficiently steering development towards
improving existing solution approaches, but also the effect of limiting
experimentation and narrowing technological search. We discuss the
comparative advantages of intermediate versus final disclosure policies in
fostering innovation.

 *Number of Pages in PDF File:* 41

*Keywords:* open innovation, cumulative innovation, incentives, search,
disclosure and access

*JEL Classification:* O3, J0, D02
 working papers series

*Carolina Rossini *