[okfn-br] Sobre o problema com o meetup.com

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga em okfn.org
Quinta Dezembro 18 15:38:14 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy em okfn.org>
Date: 2014-12-18 12:00 GMT-02:00
Subject: Re: [OKFN-Local-Coord] Meetup Everywhere discontinued
To: wg-coord em lists.okfn.org, okfn-local-coord em lists.okfn.org

Dear All

Just a reminder to let us know if your group has been affected by the
shut-down of Meetup Everywhere.

As this might leave some local groups without event management tools, a
suggestion has been made to install the Events Manager WordPress plugin on
local sites on request. If you think this would be useful for you, please
do let us know!

You can view and contribute to the discussion here:
http://discuss.okfn.org/t/meetup-everywhere-is-closing-what-do-we-do/126/
Events Manager plugin info: http://wp-events-plugin.com/

We have extracted lists of names and Meetup IDs from the Meetup Everywhere
platform so we should be able to assist you contacting members to direct
them to your new event management platform, whichever you choose.

Best wishes

Jenny

On 27 November 2014 at 11:04, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy em okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Unfortunately, Meetup.com have decided to discontinue Meetup Everywhere on
> 1 Dec, which is the system hosting http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledge/.
> If this affects your group then read on.....
>
> There are >2500 people associated with many groups and we are keen not to
> lose those contacts and also leave groups without event planning
> functionality.
>
> If this affects your group, please take a look at further detail on
> discuss.okfn.org and let us know your views:
> http://discuss.okfn.org/t/meetup-everywhere-is-closing-what-do-we-do/126
>
> In brief the current plan is to:
>
>    1. Scrape as much data as we can so records of past meetups are not
>    lost.
>    2. Notify all group members via the platform.
>    3. Look for a viable alternative going forward.
>
> Meetup.com accounts are expensive for multiple groups so this is not an
> option at a global level, although several local groups already maintain
> their own meetup.com groups.
>
> Thanks very much and we look forward to hearing your thoughts and any
> suggestions about how we can manage this transition and provide support for
> event planning in the future.
>
> Jenny

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org