[okfn-br] Fwd: Invitation to Sign the Lyon Declaration on Access to Information and Development

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Quarta Junho 4 14:53:22 UTC 2014

Pessoal, recebi isso aqui no PK, mas acho que isso eh super relevante para
a OKF-Br e suporto a ideia da OKF entrar como signatory.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stuart Hamilton <Stuart.Hamilton em ifla.org>
Date: Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:52 AM
Subject: Invitation to Sign the Lyon Declaration on Access to Information
and Development
To: Carolina Rossini <carolina.rossini em gmail.com>
Cc: Julia Brungs <Julia.Brungs em ifla.org>

    Hi Carolina

Greetings from The Hague! It’s request time – I guess you know that in
addition to privacy and IP I also work on governance and access to
information issues within the post-2015 context with Article 19, CIVICUS,
Development Initiatives and many other CSOs. I’m writing to see if Public
Knowledge or Global Partners (or any of your many connected organisations!)
would be interested in signing on to a major declaration regarding access
to information. *The Lyon Declaration on Access to Information and
Development* is an advocacy document that IFLA and its partners will use to
positively influence the content of the new post-2015 development agenda.

The Declaration calls upon United Nations Member States to make an
international commitment through the post-2015 development agenda to ensure
that everyone has access to, and is able to understand, use and share the
information that is necessary to promote sustainable development and
democratic societies. Organisations who share the vision expressed will be
invited to sign the Declaration between May 2014 and August 2015.

For your consideration I am therefore attaching two documents:

   - *Version 1.61 of the Lyon Declaration: *This document is complete and
   is presented for your endorsement. Nevertheless, we would like to reserve
   the opportunity to amend the final section (6a, 6b, 6c and 6d) based on the
   draft framework to be presented by the Open Working Group on Sustainable
   Development Goals. We expect amendments to this framework will emerge in
   June/July.

    - I hope you understand that we wish to leave ourselves as much space
      as possible to ensure our final ‘ask’ is related to what is
actually placed
      on the table in front of the UN General Assembly (UNGA). We hope that you
      will already be convinced by the text and will be willing to lend your
      support to this document.
      - *If we amend the final ‘ask’ we will, of course, notify all
      signatories as soon as we do so.*

   - *A one-page document ‘What is the Lyon Declaration?’ *which we hope
   will help you introduce the Declaration to colleagues who need to sign off
   on endorsement.
   - *A one-page document ‘What is the Post-2015 Development Agenda?’*
   which gives more background information on this process (if you need it!).

Our plan is to launch the Declaration at the IFLA Congress in Lyon in
August with c. 40 signatories from across the Development Sector. From then
on we intend to add more signatories as word about the Declaration gets
out. We intend to present the Declaration at the UN DPI NGO conference at
the end of August, and at the UNGA in September. More events and activities
will follow in 2015 – we think the Declaration can be used as a tool to
bring together signatories to work on advocacy activities together.

I would like to ask your help in two areas:

1. Please become a signatory of the Lyon Declaration! Contact IFLA’s Policy
and Projects Officer, Julia Brungs (Julia.brungs em ifla.org) *by 1 August
2014* including the full name of your organisation, name of your authorized
signatory who can represent the organisation, and logo. Please indicate
whether you grant IFLA permission to publish the name of your organisation
on the website: http://www.lyondeclaration.org

2. Please share the Declaration with your network and ask them to sign on
too. Share the one-pager for more information. Put your contacts in touch
with me so that I can answer their questions, or share their contact
details with me so that I might reach out on behalf of IFLA. We want this
Declaration to have the support of the library community and beyond -
anyone who is interested in access to information and development should
consider signing this document.

Please do not hesitate to ask me if you have any questions! Note that we
are trying to keep discussion of this document relatively close until the
launch in August (and accompanying publicity) so please feel free to
circulate via email but not to post on a website (unless it is password
protected!).

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Stuart

Stuart Hamilton