[Okfn-ca] Fwd: [open-government] Examples of open data leading to increase in data quality?

donneesouvertes101 at gmail.com donneesouvertes101 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 22:16:51 UTC 2013

As far as I am concerned, data should ideally be clean at the source.

Some information and sensibilisation have to be done.

Citizens give some time to work on open data should not have to bother
with the data 'cleanliness'.

This is what I hope will be achieved, on the long run, with the SEAO data.

Instead of working afterwards, every months, on the same kind of
problems, working with the Conseil du Trésor, I hope we will improve the
data integrity. FOr instance, making some, before releasing the data,
that fields having specifications (ex"; province code), do comply with
the specs. Which is not the case at the moment.

Which brings me to a notion that I never seen: validation
specifications. Data provider should explain what is done, if any, to
verify the data before release.

In the SEAO case, I am building some code to make verifications when the
file is released. Hopefully, those verifications will be made before the
release and errors corrected.

This is changing the actuel dynamic where we are waiting fr the data and
trying to do our best with what we have. It is time to go one step
further or ahead and work with the orginasatios releasing data.

Pascal