[Okfn-ca] Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] Open Access: to the land

Diane Mercier diane.mercier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 16:56:48 UTC 2013

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	[CivicAccess-discuss] Open Access: to the land
Date : 	Sun, 2 Jun 2013 11:23:41 -0400
De : 	Glen Newton <glen.newton at gmail.com>
Répondre à : 	civicaccess discuss <civicaccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>
Pour : 	GOSLING members in Ottawa
<ottawa-gosling at list.goslingcommunity.org>, civicaccess discuss
<civicaccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>

Many Western and Northern European countries (and others) have in law
a right travel through, and even camp on, public and _private land
(usually with reasonable restrictions):
"The freedom to roam, or everyman's right is the general public's
right to access certain public or privately owned land for recreation
and exercise. The right is sometimes called the right of public access
to the wilderness or the right to roam." -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Most legislation allow access via existing footpaths, do not allow
travel through standing crops or N meters from the owner's home, etc.

Unfortunately in Canada, we have followed the U.S. tradition of "keep
of my lawn", and there is little or no similar tradition or
legislation here (please correct me if I am wrong).

Having taken advantage of these traditions in such countries/regions
as Scotland and New Zealand, and knowing friends in the Nordic
countries who are shocked when they come visit Canada and see nothing
similar, I was wondering if others thought there might be an appetite
for fostering a similar tradition here in Canada.

And as a Quebecer, I was wondering if other Quebecers might think this
something that might be possible to foster here in Quebec.

Thanks,
Glen

-- Curation par :

Dre Diane Mercier
Ph.D. Sciences de l'information

Ambassadrice de l'Open Knowledge Foundation - Groupe local au Canada
http://ca.okfn.org
Twitter : @okfnca
Profil : http://okfn.org/members/dianemercier

Chargée de projet sur les données ouvertes de la Ville de Montréal
Blogue : http://dianemercier.com
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/dianemercier
Google+ : diane.mercier at gmail.com
Skype : dianemercier
Zotero : http://www.zotero.org/dmercier

« J'utilise une suite bureautique libre pour gérer les documents en
formats ouverts (ODF) »