[Okfn-ca] [CivicAccess-discuss] The Role of Canadian Municipal Open Data: A Multi-city Evaluation | Currie, Liam (MA Thesis)

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 12:30:50 UTC 2013

Immanuel;

What Stephane is saying, is that in the short term, as
cities/Provs/Terr/Feds are transitioning to open data strategies, they need
to cobble up what they have on hand to get data out.  Be that open source
or not.  Once they get established a little, and do some organizational
learning they can move to other platforms which in the best possible world,
OS.

I would argue that many of the current portals, even currently used open
data OS ones, do not scale well when tens of thousands of datasets are in
the systems.  The TBS open data portal is an great example.  Searching data
with tags is by no means the best way, and common keyword vocabularies need
to be used in order to actually find stuff.  This is where the geomatics
folks, and the librarians come into play, they have been doing catalogs and
portals for a good long time.  The Ottawa Public Library is an example of
an excellent interoperable multi institutional catalog system.  Just need
to think of data as books!

Finally, this list has always been one where we communicate
diplomatically.  Your last post was, somewhat not of that nature.  Breathe
first.  Absolutism should be tempered with the grey zones of institutional
change that we are witnessing in our institutions.  We will have to be
patient or we will lose them.

Cheers

Tracey P. Lauriault
http://traceyplauriault.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/moving-to-ireland/