[Okfn-ca] [CivicAccess-discuss] The Role of Canadian Municipal Open Data: A Multi-city Evaluation | Currie, Liam (MA Thesis)

Peder Jakobsen pjakobsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:34:24 UTC 2013

Excellent definition, thank you Diane.

As a brief followup to this great 'open' source debate, I would just add that although pure principles are important, history has taught us that often time they are not pragmatic.  (even Karl Marx wrote about this repeatedly during his lifetime, but some people chose to ignore those bits)

The challenge with open source is that often, it is much more expensive and risky to implement  than a commercial solution. A recent CKAN project I worked on could serve as a bit of a case study for this fact.

If you are familiar with property rights theory, you may immediately agree that exclusion rights of intellectual property is essential to maximize some kinds of innovation and organizational productivity.  18 years in the business, mostly working with OSS, backs this up, but since anecdotal evidence is mostly junk, please pretend I didn't say that ;)

Peder

Sent from my iPad

>>> https://gcrc.carleton.ca/confluence/display/GCRCWEB/Lauriault
>>> http://datalibre.ca/