[OKFN-CH] WG: help needed

Sarven Capadisli info at csarven.ca
Mon Sep 22 15:09:23 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-22 16:03, Riedl Reinhard wrote:
> [...]

I presume when you are interested in metadata e.g., codes, labels about
those areas types, as opposed to observations or studies including those
areas. Can you specify whether you are after economic, geopolitical or
geographic divisions?

AFAIK, there is no agency that has a standardized collection of the
divisions that you are after. You'll have to hunt down each statistical
agency per country if you want to get the complete "official" list of
provinces and cities. See how far the following will get you:

* http://geonames.org/ (unofficial)

* http://openstreetmap.org/ with http://linkedgeodata.org/  (unofficial)

* http://linkedgeodata.org/GADM  (RDF conversion of GADM). See also:
http://gadm.geovocab.org/

*
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/nuts_nomenclature/introduction
(EU only) -- There is an RDF serialization of this at
http://eurostat.linked-statistics.org/dic/geo

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_administrative_subdivision_codes

* Number of cities that you can probably dig out of DBpedia/Wikidata:
http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&query=Select+Count%28*%29+{+%3Fs+a+dbpedia-owl%3ACity+}&format=text%2Fhtml&timeout=30000&debug=on
  ;) See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_cities_by_country

You may need to mix and match in the end :S

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i