[okfn-discuss] Fw: [uo] FW: OPEN ACCESS: Open Letter from Fellows of the Royal Society regarding the Society's position statement on open access

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 6 17:01:00 UTC 2006

Julian Priest wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just to share a personal experience along these lines and hoping this
> query is not off topic for the list..

No it's fine though you might get better advice on the creative commons
uk list:

or the free culture uk list:

> I was recenlty asked if I would like to include an essay I wrote that
> is released under a creative commons in an accademic journal published
> by a commercial publisher. The require that the copyright is assigned
> to them of at least the version that they publish.

Which means they then control the copyright -- you can't then license
that specific work with a CC license (only they could). Of course you
could license other versions which you still did hold the copyright in.

> I however wish to release the document under a creative commons
> license so I am about to begin a negotiation about whether they will
> publish it with this license.

Great.

> The danger is that the creative commons licensing rather than making
> re-publication easier, might exclude the text from the journal!

Well if it comes to them just assign them the copyright in that
particular version and create another one with minor differences that
**you** control the copyright in and license it under CC.

> Has anyone had a similar experience with CC content in accademic
> journals?

I haven't but the best place to ask would be cc-uk list.