[okfn-discuss] Calendar

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jan 26 13:09:30 UTC 2006

This is a really good idea Tom. It has been discussed several times and
even recently Andrea wrote to me about it. The problem always seems to
be the question of centralization as well as who maintains it. The best
solution would be some method of aggregation but there is no
well-defined metadata system I know of that allows you to do this (you
can aggregate blog posts but they will appear in order posted not when
the event is occuring -- there is no easy way AFAIK extract the date the
event is happening on).

Andrea recently mentioned this issue recently as well and pointed at
dedicated sites such as:

upcoming.org/eventful.com/evnt.org

The alternative, which you mention, is to install our own event system
using Drupal (or something else) which we then just update with events
we want to be there. OKFN already has a drupal installation running the
DRN news/info site:

http://drn.okfn.org/

It is using of the debian stable branch of drupal (4.5.x i think) and I
can easily give you ssh access if you would like to have a go at
installing  modules (if you sign up to DRN I can also make you an admin
if you are not already).

~rufus