[okfn-discuss] Calendar

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jan 30 14:14:32 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

The upcoming.org module doesn't look complete to me, though I've not tested it
yet. Usually complete modules are listed in the 4.6 modules page, whereas the
module is only listed in the CVS modules page. Also it will need work to make
it compatible with Drupal 4.7, essential for RemixCommons.

As for the way forward, once Matt Lee sorts out the FC-UK web site we can add
a block to the sidebar listing events from upcoming.org. That will be a start
- we can then encourage people to submit more events there. When we establish
our newsletter, which is already going to be syndicated by the Free Software
magazine (and hopefully more magazines after that) I hope there will be some
added incentive for people to add their events. In the meantime we can also
look at sponsoring somebody to get the Drupal module up to scratch, or if we
can't raise the cash then we'll have to find a willing volunteer.

If we had the volunteer time / money we could take what Rufus points out about
the upcoming.org API and Drupal's events module and see if we can't win
ourselves independence of upcoming.org by making Drupal perform the same
function. Have Drupal be able to run as a kind of 'central' calendar to which
other sites submit their events, that offers all the RSS feeds we need.

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com