[okfn-discuss] open knowledge event this autumn: proposal

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Tue Jul 4 09:49:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:17:25AM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> >Looks good to me, but rather than have anything too massive - like last
> >time, it could make more sense to focus discussion on one thing, then
> >perhaps bring in more practical workshops in each of these areas...
>
> Yes and no. I completely agree that focused events on any one of these
> topics are also useful (and we're already doing them be it in the form
> of open content forums/dorkbot etc etc). For me the purpose of this
> event was to bring together people working on *different* areas. I agree
> that I would not want to do something on the scale of WSFII last year
> but I think it would be perfectly possible to do a smaller scale 1-day
> event (perhaps just focused on e.g. content/civic info/geodata).

I think you're right - it's good to have event/diversity and focus.
If workshops can be more mobile and flexible around the event, perhaps
we could actually choose a theme or an issue - a specific problem that
we look to FIIs to fix - geodata / civic info being one. All the others
can kind of fit into this, so maybe we should do it as a more
geodata/civic info event, with approaches to solving this from all
corners of your sketched agenda.

That makes it more of a 'fix this social problem with FIIs' design
competition, as well as a talking shop.

Oh damn, I'm excited about this again.

I thought I was cured! ;)

--