[okfn-discuss] open knowledge event this autumn: proposal

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 7 11:22:59 UTC 2006

Saul Albert wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:17:25AM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>>>Looks good to me, but rather than have anything too massive - like last
>>>time, it could make more sense to focus discussion on one thing, then
>>>perhaps bring in more practical workshops in each of these areas...
>>
>>Yes and no. I completely agree that focused events on any one of these
>>topics are also useful (and we're already doing them be it in the form
>>of open content forums/dorkbot etc etc). For me the purpose of this
>>event was to bring together people working on *different* areas. I agree
>>that I would not want to do something on the scale of WSFII last year
>>but I think it would be perfectly possible to do a smaller scale 1-day
>>event (perhaps just focused on e.g. content/civic info/geodata).
>

> I think you're right - it's good to have event/diversity and focus.
> If workshops can be more mobile and flexible around the event, perhaps
> we could actually choose a theme or an issue - a specific problem that
> we look to FIIs to fix - geodata / civic info being one. All the others
> can kind of fit into this, so maybe we should do it as a more
> geodata/civic info event, with approaches to solving this from all
> corners of your sketched agenda.
>
> That makes it more of a 'fix this social problem with FIIs' design
> competition, as well as a talking shop.

I think this is a nice approach though I'd like to leave room for stuff
that wasn't too applied -- one of the major aims is to get people from
different areas talking about the different ways they engage in
producing, reusing, redistributing and using open knowledge. I'd also
like to be able to bring stuff from the open content/free culture end of
things if that were possible.

> Oh damn, I'm excited about this again.
>
> I thought I was cured! ;)

That's good to hear. Anyone volunteer to organize a stream? What dates
do people think are good? As I said before it would be nice to
co-organize with other groups such as MySociety or Free Culture UK ...