[okfn-discuss] open knowledge event this autumn: proposal

julian at informal.org.uk julian at informal.org.uk
Sun Jul 16 20:59:21 UTC 2006

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:49:53AM +0100, Julian Priest wrote:
>> The conference programme draft is getting firmed up now but the
>> workshop time is much more flexible and open. Planning and fund
>> raising is happening now so maybe if we could form a group from
>> different tracks who are interested from last years themes we could
>> put together a proposal to get some funding for the travel?
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> I think it's a great idea to link the events in some way, but I'm
> probably not going to be able to go to Dharamasala for WSFII - there's
> just so much on here. It also seems quite resource intensive to send
> people around the world again... although funds are clearly needed.
>
> Perhaps it would make more sense to propose working groups that could
> collaborate on developing a workshop programme... with materials and
> tools that could be transferred - without actually booking flights etc..
>
> What do you think? An open knowledge building project - perhaps
> complimentary to a moving-people-around-the-world project..
>
> Of course maybe both should happen... physical meetings are *really*
> important for these kinds of processes.. which is hard enough to organise
> *just* in London! :)

Agreed 'sending people round the world again' is resource intensive and
the point of wsfii as an event series was partly to reduce the burden of
interconitinetal travel from a global process. I went by bike to the
diirwb summer camp .. only 85km but it's a start!

That said if there is no interchange of people linking the various events
in the series then it kind of begins to loose coherence and the social
network of it doesn't get built so well. It's also really hard to start
projects with people you haven't met face to face as I have learned from
experience many times.

So yes a hybrid approach is probably best.. strong local events with local
particpation, limited inter event travel by few people, and collaborative
projects formed face to face in workshops at events and maintained
afterwards online.

If you can start an open knowledge building project at the London event
and get someone or sometwo to somehow take it to India, then that would be
great :)

I'm in London the next couple of days (blowing my carbon neutrality on
easyjet) so fancy meeting tuesday afternoon to talk about it more?

cheers

/julian