[okfn-discuss] open knowledge event this autumn: proposal

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Sun Jul 16 14:04:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:49:53AM +0100, Julian Priest wrote:
> The conference programme draft is getting firmed up now but the
> workshop time is much more flexible and open. Planning and fund
> raising is happening now so maybe if we could form a group from
> different tracks who are interested from last years themes we could
> put together a proposal to get some funding for the travel?

Hi Julian,

I think it's a great idea to link the events in some way, but I'm
probably not going to be able to go to Dharamasala for WSFII - there's
just so much on here. It also seems quite resource intensive to send
people around the world again... although funds are clearly needed.

Perhaps it would make more sense to propose working groups that could
collaborate on developing a workshop programme... with materials and
tools that could be transferred - without actually booking flights etc..

What do you think? An open knowledge building project - perhaps
complimentary to a moving-people-around-the-world project..

Of course maybe both should happen... physical meetings are *really*
important for these kinds of processes.. which is hard enough to organise
*just* in London! :)

Cheers,

Saul.

--