[okfn-discuss] video project metadata tools

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Nov 17 21:36:39 UTC 2006

dear all,

I suppose web video distribution is flavour of the month right now and
a lot of people seem to be working on related projects which come down
to a mixture of video CMS, classification system and project
management tool. I found this spec for indymedia quite interesting as
it has a lot of emphasis on collaborative planning and production of
media, not just on encoding and processing stuff that has been
published: https://docs.indymedia.org/view/Devel/FilmForge

It strikes me that something like this is a good candidate for a
domainmodel/kforge (domainforge?) type application - to be able to
make as much use of what is in trac inside a system like this - using
a web/svn gateway for translation of transcripts, etc.

Meanwhile there are a lot of people seemingly being galvanised by the
transmission.cc effort as visible partially at
http://wiki.transmission.cc/index.php/Special:Recentchanges
And they will achieve a lot in terms of encouraging the adoption of
reasonably common standards for much finer grained metadata about
video media. It's all encouraging stuff and the how-to-open-license
debate is healthy in that community...

jo