[okfn-discuss] video project metadata tools

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Nov 21 13:21:30 UTC 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I suppose web video distribution is flavour of the month right now and
> a lot of people seem to be working on related projects which come down
> to a mixture of video CMS, classification system and project
> management tool. I found this spec for indymedia quite interesting as
> it has a lot of emphasis on collaborative planning and production of
> media, not just on encoding and processing stuff that has been
> published: https://docs.indymedia.org/view/Devel/FilmForge
>
> It strikes me that something like this is a good candidate for a
> domainmodel/kforge (domainforge?) type application - to be able to
> make as much use of what is in trac inside a system like this - using
> a web/svn gateway for translation of transcripts, etc.

Absolutely. The interesting thing about video is that it is more similar
to code in terms of reusability, atomizability etc than most other
media/content which makes it particularly suitable to an open approach.
In that sense I really think Indymedia have the right end of the stick:
the real value is to be gained not in attaching metadata to some shiny
finished version but in collaboration and sharing at a much earlier
stage in the development process.

> Meanwhile there are a lot of people seemingly being galvanised by the
> transmission.cc effort as visible partially at
> http://wiki.transmission.cc/index.php/Special:Recentchanges
> And they will achieve a lot in terms of encouraging the adoption of
> reasonably common standards for much finer grained metadata about
> video media. It's all encouraging stuff and the how-to-open-license
> debate is healthy in that community...

This looks very interesting though I must confess I am rather out of the
loop on video type stuff (Adnan perhaps you would like to contribute
something here/).