[okfn-discuss] Summer of Content

Jonathan jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Aug 16 18:53:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

The Northern Summer of Content launches tomorrow. I've posted a brief
summary of their programme here:

  http://blog.okfn.org/2007/08/16/summer-of-content-launch/

They've added an entry for us (which I've started to edit) at:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Summer_of_Content_organizations#Open_Knowledge_Foundation

It would be great to add ideas for projects which we would like to see,
or to help out with.

I've just been corresponding with Mel Chua, one of the organisers, who's
just asked me:

 >It's not Summer of Content related, but in the (very) short term, we
could really use a hand on the Licensing section of the OLPC
 >website...
 >
 > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing
 >
 >It seems like a lot of the stuff I've been trying to do there is taken
care of nicely by your page, actually. :) So maybe we should delete
 >the stuff on our page and just link to yours.
 >
 >Two other things that might be good to migrate to OKFN and link to
from OLPC (and maybe Wikieducator?)

 >http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing#Quickstart:_Licensing_your_material
 >http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing#Quickstart:_Asking_others_to_license_their_material

 >The basic idea is to make it super-easy for people to open up their
content (pretty easy already, I think, thanks to your foundation's work
 >and Creative Commons outreach initiatives) but also to request that
others open their work as well (creating template letters and a
 >suggested schedule of sending them, etc).
 >
 >Can you help us out? Maybe this could become an entire class of Summer
of Content projects - a series of metaprojects trying to get
 >existing content released under an open license... two birds with one
stone.

 >Thoughts? Would OKFN be interested?

It seems to me that linking to opendefinition.org would be a good idea.
Do any of you think it could be worth producing/incorporating even more
basic material on how to openly license material, as they suggest? I
like the idea of building on our resources page [1] to create a
mini-project in which volunteers could write to content producers to see
if they'd considered using an open license. I'm currently starting to do
something similar for Open Textbook.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jonathan