[okfn-discuss] 8 Principles of Open Government Data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Dec 13 10:26:41 UTC 2007

There's a request for comments up at:

  <http://public.resource.org/8_principles.html>

This came out of a recent meeting (from the blurb):

"December 7-8, 2007—This weekend, 30 open government advocates gathered
to develop a set of principles of open government data. The meeting,
held in Sebastopol, California, was designed to develop a more robust
understanding of why open government data is essential to democracy."

I've included the 8 principles info below. This seems a great initiative
and given the close similarity with the Open Knowledge/Data
Definition[1] we should definitely get in contact with these guys and
see both how we could participate in this particular instance and how we
could collaborate in general.

[1]: <http://opendefinition.org/1.0/>

Looking specifically at the principles it seems that they are looking at
something slightly wider -- what one might term *open government* as
opposed to simply *open data*.

Specifically items 5-8 (and maybe 4 too) would seem to be very similar
to existing items in the OK/DD (though item 8 is stronger -- and also
problematic for that reason: (e.g.) the UK government's click-use
license is a license but is also open). Items 1-4, by contrast, are more
about what government should make available and are therefore more about
the general process of government rather than the openness of the data
itself.

8 Principles
============

 From <http://public.resource.org/8_principles.html>

Government data shall be considered open if it is made public in a way
that complies with the principles below:

1. Complete
     All public data is made available. Public data is data that is not
subject to valid privacy, security or privilege limitations.

2. Primary
     Data is as collected at the source, with the highest possible level
of granularity, not in aggregate or modified forms.

3. Timely
     Data is made available as quickly as necessary to preserve the
value of the data.

4. Accessible
     Data is available to the widest range of users for the widest range
of purposes.

5. Machine processable
     Data is reasonably structured to allow automated processing.

6. Non-discriminatory
     Data is available to anyone, with no requirement of registration.

7. Non-proprietary
     Data is available in a format over which no entity has exclusive
control.

8. License-free
     Data is not subject to any copyright, patent, trademark or trade
secret regulation. Reasonable privacy, security and privilege
restrictions may be allowed.