[okfn-discuss] CKAN questions

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Dec 17 17:53:59 UTC 2007

Francis,

It would be great if you could add it to CKAN!

While the focus is on datasets that are 'open' as in the OKD - we've
been registering non-open stuff too. Especially with large and important
datasets that are freely accessible but have either no terms of use, or
terms of use that restrict redistribution/re-use - such as many large
institutional datasets.

I am particularly interested in the datasets held by the UN and other
international institutions. A little while ago I met someone who worked
there who said he'd try and put me in touch with whoever he could to
discuss issues relating to how their data is licensed, whether they
assert rights, terms and conditions etc. I haven't yet followed this up
- but perhaps we could start a mini-project on UN data?

Talking of institutional policies, I've long been interested in data
produced by US government agencies (such as NASA), much of which must be
in the public domain and effectively open. It would be great if relevant
departments could clarify the legal status of the data they
produce/distribute. It would also be good, as there's so much data out
there, to try to map out what government departments publish data - and
what kinds of data they produce.

I wonder if any of the recently announced open data protocols and
licenses will be adopted by international/governmental data producers:

http://blog.okfn.org/2007/12/17/good-news-for-open-data-protocol-for-implementing-open-access-data-open-data-commons-pddl-and-cczero/

Anyhow, regarding your questions:

 > Do I just add it as "Non-OKD Compliant: Other" on CKAN? And try and
 > contact them to complain about the lack of a license / public domain
 > assertion?

This is what we've been doing so far. Personally I've not so much been
complaining as enquiring:
  * what license/terms of use apply and what rights they are asserting
in their data;
  * what their attitude towards re-use is;
  * if they are restricting re-use to 'personal' or 'noncommercial' use
-  what the rationale behind this is;
  * whether they have considered making their data open.

Now, in relation to the last point, as well as pointing out the Open
Knowledge Definition [1], the Open Data web buttons [2], and the Guide
to Data Licensing [3], we can flag up the new protocols and licenses
mentioned above (PFIOAD, ODC PDDL, CCZero)!

[1] http://www.opendefinition.org/
[2] http://www.opendefinition.org/buttons
[3] http://www.okfn.org/wiki/OpenDataLicensing

I'm thinking of revamping our communications page soon and will
certainly bear this in mind... Perhaps we should also put something
about this on CKAN.

 > What do we do in a world without the culture of good licensing?  Both
 > to make that culture, and to deal with it meanwhile.

(I've taken 'good licensing' to mean making it clear what others can do
with data, rather than being liberal about what others can do with the
data...)

As well as contacting those responsible for the data, for larger data
producers I think it could be interesting to start mini projects on a
'per organisation/government' basis (as mentioned above).

E.g. mapping out what data is produced, what legislation/policy/terms
and conditions are relevant and so on for the UN and its agencies, or
for the US government and its departments. In other words - helping to
document what kind of culture currently exists around data sharing.
Having a load of entries on CKAN is a good start. Perhaps this would be
a good area of commonality with some of the recent open government
projects/groups.

(N.B. This is a bit similar to what a group of us have tried to start
doing for environmental datasets with:
<http://www.okfn.org/wiki/OpenEnvironmentalData>)

In terms of encouraging a culture of sharing - I guess its always good
to have more/better 'exemplar' projects that show what can be done with
the data if others are allowed to re-use it. (One idea I've been
*really*  keen on for a while is in visualising public data a la
gapminder, swivel, many eyes, etc.)

I guess the main thing is to keep on plugging away!

Regards,

Jonathan