[okfn-discuss] Collaborative Development of Data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 26 12:35:11 UTC 2007

John Bywater wrote:
> I thought wikis marked a movement away from support for (and I suspect
> belief in) the opposition between structured and unstructured
> information, and to support for semi-structured text. In other words,
> thought moved on from so-called thinking down vertical lines (the figure
> of the data worker entering data into a database, the binary machine
> that structures data by pushing it down, perhaps management as such), to
> thinking around horizontal lines (the circulations of meaning between
> brains, the rhizosphere as such).

Interesting, I hadn't seen it quite this way. I think one would want to
draw a distinction between structure in the data and structure in the
process of creating the data. I would very much agree that we would want
to move away from rigidity in the creation/updating of information:
that, IMO, is one of the thing versioning provides as it allows freer
write access, easier/more robust renaming, updating etc. However I don't
think that means one does not want allow people to indicate structure in
an efficient way *in the information they do enter*.

[snip]

> That's why wikis were aimed at supporting semi-structured data, so
> people can work on renaming things over time (specifically for The
> Portland Pattern Repository, to rename emerging patterns of software
> design). On one hand, having no ability to record denotations prevents
> production; on the other hand having everything structured in a
> traditional way allows little room for development (and provides little
> value before being finished). So the problem is how best to support the
> passage collaborative works takes from the unrecorded, through the
> poorly recorded, to the better recorded, and in such a way that the
> emergence of the form of the recordings and of the recorded matter isn't
> frustrated.

I would completely agree that one would not want everything structured
and in most systems you'll always have your 'notes/comments' box where
you can enter anything. I also agree that the more flexible you can make
the system the better (including the ability to rename the data
structures themselves ...). However there is always some trade-off
between that flexibility and performance -- that's why trying to get the
domain model right and keeping the focus on that in development is so
important.

We have problems already thinking how one would efficiently/effectively
support a domain model containing version objects let alone a domain
model which itself was versioned -- just think what a pain data
migration across different database schemas is.

> The new conception was clearly to place the structuring data (meta data
> for some) inside the consideration regarding data, rather than outside
> it. This directly leads to the innovative wiki feature of citation
> before page creation.

That's a really good point i hadn't thought of: the ability to name
before actually doing anything (to sketch out things easily).

[snip]

> The thing would seem to be to support flows rather than positions, to
> follow emergence rather than existing structures. Ward didn't put
> versioning in WardsWiki.

Interesting -- so wikis did not originally have versioning?

~rufus