[okfn-discuss] Collaborative Development of Data

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Mon Feb 26 20:39:40 UTC 2007

<quote who="Rufus Pollock" date="Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:35:11PM +0000">
> >The thing would seem to be to support flows rather than positions, to
> >follow emergence rather than existing structures. Ward didn't put
> >versioning in WardsWiki.
>
> Interesting -- so wikis did not originally have versioning?

Well... Wikis have only been successful with versioning. I've worked on
wikis without versioning (or with partial version). The community found
them unworkable and eventually switched to something else. Understanding
the way that projects were originally envisioned is clearly importnat
but we should make sure focus on what worked and not get caught up on
the presence or absense of features when the ommision or admission of
such features were viewed to be design flaws in the long run.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS