[okfn-discuss] Modding CC-licenses for data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 22 11:50:48 UTC 2007

rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
>
>> What do people think of this? Also should we have advice on waiving
>> rights (e.g. by 'dedicating' to the public domain) for people who
>> simply want to make their work available without any restrictions?
>
> One of the European CC licenses covers DB right IIRC, so is it worth
> working with CC to see if this should be a general measure for the next
> version of their licenses? I'm very wary of producing modded CC

You're right there Rob, I think it is the Dutch CC license produced
under the aegis of DB rights maestro Bernt Hugenholtz. We've already got
something on that in the guide:

<http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenDataLicensing#head-93f44af60f2a4ab2054de205d05952b0be2a1def>

We should probably do more work here to extract the diffs the Dutch guys
applied so that we can use on non-Dutch CC licenses.

> licenses. Proliferation is not good.

I agree though my understanding of CC's positions is that they don't CC
licenses to be applied to data -- only to the copyrigtable elements of
databases. In fact talks with John Willbanks at iCommons indicated that
they may be planning a communique on this precise issue.

> The GPL-3 final draft contains this section:
>
> ""Copyright" also means copyright-like laws that apply to other kinds of
> works, such as semiconductor masks."
>
> Could this be stretched to cover the DB right? Is it worth very quickly
> trying to get the FSF to add DB right?

Might be an idea though there focus is very much on the computer
(software/hardware) side of things. How do you suggest we go about
raising this?

~rufus