[okfn-discuss] Modding CC-licenses for data

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Fri Jun 22 10:06:55 UTC 2007

Quoting Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:

> What do people think of this? Also should we have advice on waiving
> rights (e.g. by 'dedicating' to the public domain) for people who
> simply want to make their work available without any restrictions?

One of the European CC licenses covers DB right IIRC, so is it worth
working with CC to see if this should be a general measure for the
next version of their licenses? I'm very wary of producing modded CC
licenses. Proliferation is not good.

The GPL-3 final draft contains this section:

""Copyright" also means copyright-like laws that apply to other kinds
of works, such as semiconductor masks."

Could this be stretched to cover the DB right? Is it worth very
quickly trying to get the FSF to add DB right?

- Rob.