[okfn-discuss] Open Environmental Data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Nov 19 13:19:37 UTC 2007

Jonathan Gray wrote:
> Ben Harden (at the new Grantham Institute for Climate Change [1]) and I
> have started putting together a few wiki pages about environmental data:
>
>    http://www.okfn.org/wiki/OpenEnvironmentalData

This looks great.

> So far we've got a brief section on relevant law/policy [2] and
> commented lists of datasets [3], dataset distributors [4], research

Those dataset items:

   http://www.okfn.org/wiki/OpenEnvironmentalData/Datasets

look perfect for adding to CKAN (you've already got tags notes etc).

> groups [5], and  F/OS software packages that can be used to
> analyse/represent the data [6].
>
> Links to datasets are going to be added to CKAN.

Aha!

> I think we're going to start writing to researchers/distributors where
> licenses or terms of use are unclear or absent.

Great idea. One could start using specific tags on CKAN. I'm using
license-not-specified a lot and you could probably add a tag something
like todo-contact to list those you specifically want to contact.

~rufus

[snip]