[okfn-discuss] openMilton and outreach

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Apr 3 21:03:58 UTC 2008

Iain Emsley wrote:
> I thought I'd let people know that I've contacted a professor at my old
> university who has an interest in Milton to get his feedback and
> thoughts on what would be useful for him or his students / colleagues as
> well. I'll let the list know if and when I get any reply.

Good news! I look forward to seeing what the outcome is.

I generally think that touching base with those involved in
teaching/research relevant to open knowledge projects is a good thing.

What about creating advisory boards? One for Open Milton, one for Open
Shakespeare? I've been meaning to post on the SHAKSPER.NET list for a
while. I will do this ASAP.

I was speaking with several people at OKCon about working with
academics, researchers, teachers etc. to build wish lists of features
for projects like Open Shakespeare/Milton - to help determine what kinds
of things would be most useful/valuable to those 'on the ground'.

> A thought (and this was tangentially raised in one of the downstairs
> sessions at OkCon) but is there any place where all the various outreach
> activities are placed so that effort isn't duplicated or that volunteers
> can find out what various plans are or might be?

There are several places. For documenting communications (mostly to do
with OKD + buttons), I've started to use:

   http://www.okfn.org/wiki/Communications

For general 'to do' items, see:

   http://okfn.org/wiki/TodoList/

For project specific 'to do' items, you can see the projects' trac
pages, e.g.

   http://project.knowledgeforge.net/shakespeare/trac/report/1

Is any of this what you were after? It would be good to sit down and
take a fresh look at this sort of thing.

Best,

J.