[okfn-discuss] Versioning Manuscripts

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 11 10:10:42 UTC 2008

On 03/04/08 11:02, Iain Emsley wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just thought that I'd let you know that I've taken a little break from
> Milton to do something linked to it whilst I figure out the source of
> the junk error I get from Genshi.
>
> At the conference, mention was made of trying to version
> manuscripts/texts to find the changes. I've been quietly working on a
> Perl programme to begin doing that or at least to demonstrate the
> approach whilst looking at how to fully implement the ideas.

This sounds really interesting. I'd really like to participate in this.

> Would you be interested in a Python port to fit in with
> openShakespeare and openMilton, or would Perl be okay until I've done
> the port?

I'd definitely be interested in a python port (python has a reasonably
good general purpose diffing library (difflib) available as part of the
distribution). Why not commit your perl version plus any python into the
shakespeare svn repo, that way I -- and others :) -- can take a look.

~rufus