[okfn-discuss] Work on Open Shakespeare/Milton and upgrading openshakespeare.org

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Aug 21 14:46:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

Iain Emsley have been working away on Open Shakespeare/Milton related
things over the last few months and we have now completed a fair number
of major improvements with more to come in the near future. In
particular we now have implemented:

   * Major refactoring of internal code to be cleaner and simpler
   * A new cleaner and reorganized web interface
   * Search support via Xapian
   * Statistical analysis and graphing

Even more importantly Iain's work on the Milton side of things has
indicated the need for us to try to factor out a reusable core which can
then be plugged together with particular sets of texts to form
individual Open Shakespeare, Open Milton, Open etc instances (for anyone
interested most of the discussion about this has been on okfn-help, sign
up or browser at http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/okfn-help/

In the mean-time I plan to upgrade the current online Open Shakespeare
service (which runs off the web interface part of the shakespeare
package) which currently lives at:

   http://demo.openshakespeare.org/

At the same time I think it will make sense to relocate this at

   http://www.openshakespeare.org/

While moving the current blog living at that address to:

   http://blog.openshakespeare.org/

If anyone has any objections or can think of any good reasons not to do
this let me know. If I don't hear anything I'll be doing the upgrade
some time in the next couple of days.