[okfn-discuss] Work on Open Shakespeare/Milton and upgrading openshakespeare.org

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Aug 26 11:51:50 UTC 2008

On 21/08/08 16:01, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>> If anyone has any objections or can think of any good reasons not to
>> do this let me know. If I don't hear anything I'll be doing the
>> upgrade some time in the next couple of days.
>
> No objections here! Thanks for continuing to work on this project.

Go to hear Peter! I've now gone ahead and done the update and things now
look rather different:

   <http://www.openshakespeare.org/>

Main new features are the search facility:

   <http://www.openshakespeare.org/search/>

And the statistics section which supports showing stats by text of by
word, e.g. love and death:

   <http://www.openshakespeare.org/stats/word/love/>
   <http://www.openshakespeare.org/stats/word/death/>

Or by text e.g. Hamlet:

   <http://www.openshakespeare.org/stats/text/hamlet_gut>

There's quite a bit of polishing still to do (some examples are given
below) so if you'd like to help out please say :)

Prospective Improvements
========================

   * We need to finish off proof-editing the scan of the EB 11 entry for
Shakespeare:
     * <http://okfn.org/wiki/tmp/BritannicaShakespeare>

   * We need to 'mark-up' underlying texts both for display and search
indexing purposes

   * The search side of things needs:
     * pagination support for results
     * better linking to the underlying texts
     * ability to search only certain works

   * Stats side of things:
     * Index of words
     * Normalization of stats
     * Tutorial on doing stats analysis from code