[okfn-discuss] Wikipedia Loves Art at the V&A in February]

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Dec 22 23:28:36 UTC 2008

jonni jemp wrote:
> One query I have is whether the creation of a new  and public
> generated image collection of objects in the V&A's collections help
> the V&A [and, by extension, other similar institutions] accepting the
> fuller consequences of entering into changing knowledge economy where
> all knowledge assets, ie. all its knowledge holdings could be free to
> access, use, re-use and redistribute? 'Free culture' involves a
> liberation of publicly owned information.

Reproductions of artefacts from museum collections are not the same as
the originals, so it's not entirely true that their "knowledge holdings"
can be free to circulate. There's no substitute for examining the actual
artifact, and this is good for institutions. But acess to
*reproductions* of artefacts can be very beneficial for study and
criticism, and free distribution of reproductions therefore increases
this benefit by making it more widespread.

The benefit of this to institutions is that it helps to build their
online footprint. As with authors and artists, the problem for
institutions is obscurity not piracy. So helping the V&A build its
online footprint will help drive people to actually visit the V&A. Where
they can be monetized directly through cafeterias and gift shops, or
indirectly through demonstrating demand for the institution to government.

So, yes, hopefully this will prove to the V&A and other institutions
that enabling such access will benefit them.

- Rob.