[okfn-discuss] Freedom Defined

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Fri Feb 22 01:45:46 UTC 2008

On 2/21/08, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
>  I read your recent post [1] about Free Cultural Works seals on CC-BY and
>  CC-BY-SA licenses with interest and enthusiasm. I've just posted about
>  this on our blog [2].

Thanks!

>  I was just wondering, what's the best way for us at the OKF to keep in
>  touch with what you guys are doing so that we can make sure our efforts
>  are complementary?
>
>  I'm on your discussion list but I'm not sure whether or not this is the
>  right place to look for information on what you're up to.

I think I'm on your list too. :)

I'm afraid that if I had to name a single place to look for what CC is
doing it would be the CC blog, which admittedly is pretty noisy.

The big initiatives we have underway now (which you're probably
already aware of) are the "CC0" waiver and next generation PD
assertion http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8045 and steps
hopefully toward Wikipedia migration to BY-SA, of which the FCW seal
is one.

Of course CC0/PD ties in closely with Science Commons' protocol for
implementing open access data, which I believe OKF is in the loop on.

I'd be happy to discuss any questions or comments you or OKF might
have about these initiatives here or on cc-licenses or cc-community as
appropriate, including how we might work together, any initiatives you
have coming that CC might be interested in, etc.

>  [3] http://groups.google.com/group/freeculturalworks/

Yet another list that it seems I'm already on but had forgotten. :)

Mike