[okfn-discuss] Freedom Defined

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Feb 27 23:00:20 UTC 2008

Dear Mako,

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> We talked with Rufus about this very early on, before or during the
> creation the Free Cultural Works definition and decided to work
> separately. Things have changed and I definitely think it is worth
> revisiting the issue again now.

I remember these discussions being alluded to - it does seem like it
could be good to revisit how the projects sit alongside each other!

> I'm currently in the process of trying to work with the folks at
> Libre.org) to try to bring our projects together -- probably under the
> Libre banner. I think the OKD would would be a welcome addition to this
> collaboration.  We really are doing the same thing and I don't see any
> reason for us to be working separately, or even on different projects.

My inclination is that the OKF would probably have to consider whether
or not to merge opendefinition.org into another project - but I don't
think we'd hesitate in taking the opportunity to collaborate more
closely with freedomdefined.org, and/or any Libre definition.

I suppose something like a free/open/libre knowledge (FOLK? ;-) )
framework for co-ordinating work on these kinds of definitions could be
the first port of call? I don't know whether this could be in the form
of a mailing list (perhaps not yet another), a joint announce, or some
regular IRC meeting?

As you say - we are largely doing the same thing!

> Would be a good initial contact for this? There is an ongoing
> conversation with the folks from Libre.org which I'm happy to include
> you in.

I'd love to hear more about what Libre.org are doing in this area!

Best wishes,

Jonathan