[okfn-discuss] Freedom Defined

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Wed Feb 27 17:35:27 UTC 2008

<quote who="Jonathan Gray" date="Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:45:36PM +0000">
> Thanks for your replies Mike, Erik and Ben!
>
> I was also wondering whether there is scope for more of close working
> relationship between The Definition of Free Cultural Works and the Open
> Knowledge Definition:
>
>  http://opendefinition.org/
>
> I understand that functionally they do much the same thing (e.g. pick out
> same set of CC licenses as free/open) - albeit with slightly different
> names, aims, scope and focus. It feels as though they have become somewhat
> estranged!

We talked with Rufus about this very early on, before or during the
creation the Free Cultural Works definition and decided to work
separately. Things have changed and I definitely think it is worth
revisiting the issue again now.

I'm currently in the process of trying to work with the folks at
Libre.org) to try to bring our projects together -- probably under the
Libre banner. I think the OKD would would be a welcome addition to this
collaboration.  We really are doing the same thing and I don't see any
reason for us to be working separately, or even on different projects.

Would be a good initial contact for this? There is an ongoing
conversation with the folks from Libre.org which I'm happy to include
you in.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto