[okfn-discuss] [Fwd: Re: Open Economics and Data Packaging: some thoughts and questions]

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Jan 14 21:42:36 UTC 2008

 From Jason May:

-------- Original Message --------

The data store sounds a little like what I'm attempting to do with
numbrary.com.  I don't have an explicit focus on economic data, but so
far that's the majority of the content on the site.

My primary focus recently for Numbrary has been to mine some of the US
government agencies that produce economic data.  So far I've pulled
down chunks of the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic
Analysis, and Federal Reserve.

Regarding data visualization, it looks like you've followed the same
path as I have with AJAX charting toolkits.  I've experimented with
Plotr, which is a PlotKit clone.  You should have a good look at what
Swivel and Many Eyes are doing.  There are also some strong Flash
toolkits, e.g. http://www.amcharts.com/

Cheers,
-Jason

Jason May