[okfn-discuss] possible OKD conformant licence: The MirOS Licence

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:15:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Jonathan Gray <j.gray at cantab.net> wrote:
> Welcome to the list Patrick!

Thanks.

> The GPL/AGPL aren't included because they are covered by the open
> source/free software definitions.

Does this mean all licenses covered by those definitions are
automatically INCLUDED, or that they are automatically EXCLUDED?

>The OKD focuses on knowledge - which
> includes content and data.

Yes, luckily I understand that much ;)

I should have been more explicit.  I am talking about applying the GNU
[A]GPL to data.  This is already done to a small degree.

For instance, I follow the development of many Free Software games,
and know that some of the groups are moving from the CC licenses to
the GPL for the artwork (3D models, sprites, textures, etc.) because
it just makes things easier to use a GPL compatible license, and the
GPL protects the community from those that would otherwise make that
code or data proprietary.

Some wikis use the GPL for the 'content'.  i.e.: http://EmacsWiki.org

Even a small amount of music and video is available under the GPL.

> From the terminology section:
>
> "Software is excluded despite its obvious centrality because it is already
> adequately addressed by previous work."

Yes, but I am not talking about software.

I am talking about applying these licenses to data even though they
are traditionally used for that other thing called software.

By the way, some computer languages (such as Lisp) do not
differentiate between code and data.  I wonder why we feel we must
enforce that mostly artificial difference...(?)