[okfn-discuss] Licence approval

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Jul 14 06:18:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> I think support for the EFF Open Audio license is discontinued.

EFF OAL 2.0 was declared to be CC BY-SA 2.0.  I believe the OAL pages
are now offline, except in the Wayback Machine -- which itself is not
answering for that page right now -- see the link in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Audio_License

In addition to the licenses mentioned in this thread, there were a
bunch of public content licenses created around 2000. I listed several
of them on slide 29 of
http://www.slideshare.net/mlinksva/lugradio-live-usa-2008-creative-commons
but it would be neat if someone cataloged and summarized (including
which ones if any are Free/Open and why, and whether there was any
actual use) them all (I'm sure I missed some).  Here's the relevant
text for convenience, slightly edited:

Slide 28:  History (iii) Open content licenses (some of them Free):
1998: Open Content License
1999: Open Publication License
2000: GFDL, Free Art License
2001: EFF Open Audio License

Slide 29: History (iv) Other early 2000s open content licenses (some
of them Free):
Design Science License
Ethymonics  Free Music Public License
Open Music Green/Yellow/Red/Rainbow Licenses
Open Source Music License
No Type License
Public Library of Science Open Access License
Electrohippie Collective's Ethical Open Documentation License

Slide 30: History (v) Versioning of Creative Commons licenses (some of
them Free -- some of the licenses, not some of the versions):
2002: 1.0
2003 author of Open Content/Publication licenses recommends CC instead
and PLoS adopts CC BY
2004: 2.0
2004 EFF OAL 2.0 declares CC BY-SA 2.0 its next version
2005: 2.5
2007: 3.0

Mike