[okfn-discuss] Radiohead Release Data For Video (CC-NC)

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Jul 15 20:11:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 15/07/08 11:57, Rob Myers wrote:
>> http://code.google.com/creative/radiohead/
>>
>> Releasing the data is great, but is it copyrightable and NC-able?
>
> Probably not -- though it would depend. Obviously they would have been
> better off using a data-oriented license here.

I can't say I've looked closely, but I'm not sure it is useful to
think of this as 'data' unless you also consider a digital video
recording to be 'data' -- this is just more sparse.  Of course
everything is data, but that's not particularly useful for
licensing/access discussions.

>> Either way, NC on data isn't good. It would have been nice for
>> Radiohead to be the first Open Knowledge performers. ;-)
>
> Exactly.

Noooooooo!  Please, let's give credit to artists who have been
effectively releasing art as OK for years, even if they aren't as
famous as Radiohead.

Mike