[okfn-discuss] Open Participatory Research

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Jul 16 02:16:04 UTC 2008

Hi all,

A while ago I was already reporting here about our Cofundos.org project
for managing end-user driven open-source software development. Our
ultimate aim, however, is to explore new ways of open, stakeholder
driven research funding and Cofundos is just an initial step into this
direction.

In the last weeks I was talking with several people involved in science
funding and they seemed to be pretty interested in the idea of creating
an *prediction market [1] for research ideas* in order to identify the
most promising approaches.

In order to advance this project, attract supporters and thus finally
convince decision makers in research funding an politics we have set up
a web site at:

<http://wiki.cofundos.org>

I would be very happy to receive your comments and of course support
statements at [2]. I'm especially interested in views from different
disciplines (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Social Sciences etc.), since the
Participatory Research concept is currently pretty much influenced by
our Computer Science perspective.

Sören

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market
[2] http://wiki.cofundos.org/Supporters