[okfn-discuss] Open Participatory Research

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jul 16 14:58:42 UTC 2008

On 16/07/08 03:16, Sören Auer wrote:

[snip]

> In the last weeks I was talking with several people involved in science
> funding and they seemed to be pretty interested in the idea of creating
> an *prediction market [1] for research ideas* in order to identify the
> most promising approaches.
>
> In order to advance this project, attract supporters and thus finally
> convince decision makers in research funding an politics we have set up
> a web site at:
>
> <http://wiki.cofundos.org>

[snip]

This sounds like a great initiative. Looking at the wiki I was
particularly struck by your mention of 'Open Peer Review'. This is
something I've recently been thinking about quite a bit in the context
of an economics paper I'm writing with an academic colleague on the
subject of efficient dissemination of scholarly information. This is
still at an early stage  but the basic ideas in it are set out in the
introduction a portion of which I include below (for those who prefer
things with a url I've just posted online at [1])

[1]:<http://www.rufuspollock.org/2008/07/16/dissemination-of-scholarly-information/>

## Introduction

It is well known that in order to (completely) address a given number of
(independent) goals one needs an equal number of instruments. For
example, if one is seeking to address both congestion and pollution in
relation to road-traffic, a single instrument, for example petrol taxes,
will be insufficient. The same issues arise in relation to the
dissemination of scholarly information.

Here too there are multiple independent goals. Traditional academic
publishing provides but a single instrument. Originally there was
nothing that could be done (for reasons discussed further below), but
changes in technology render this restriction to a single instrument
unnecessary. Unfortunately, the two-sided nature of the journal market
(based on expectations), combined with the current evaluation structure
of academia, continue to lock society into this inefficient restriction.
Open-access journals provides one, though as we shall argue, not the
only, or even most efficient, way to improve the current situation.

### Goals and Instruments

Crudely put, the two main goals (or tasks), in relation to the
dissemination of scholarly information are:

   * Distribution (transmission of the data/information) -- `Making
material available for Reading'
   * Filtering/Recommendation -- `Deciding what to Read'

It seems clear that these are distinct and hence require distinct
instruments for their achievement. Journals can be seen as a single
instrument which traditionally have tried to address both ends
simultaneously. The deficiency of academic publishing can then be seen
as one of insufficient instruments. Initially, because of the
limitations of reproduction and distribution technologies, there was
little that could be done about this. Today with the advent of the
computer and the Internet this is no longer the case and it is possible
to these two distinct goals with two distinct instruments.

Why then did restricted-access Journals originally come about? The
answer lies in technology, in particular the nature of the technology
available in earlier periods to manage distribution (printing and
transmission). When many journals were originally started the cost of
transmitting information was very high. Journals essentially acted as a
club good by which the costs of reproduction and distribution could be
(efficiently) shared (the efficiency arising here from economies of scale).

At the same time, given the limited `bandwidth' it was natural for
Journals to take on some filtering role in order to economize on the
scarce transmission capacity. In this situation, dissemination is
limited and with only one instrument available (Journals) and it is
natural to tie dissemination and filtering together (with filtering in
many ways secondary). Once filtering is being done it is natural for
journals to `tie' material to the journal explicitly via copyright --
though at an early stage given the scale economies of journals this
explicit tying was not actually necessary and was probably done for
simple legal convenience.

With the advent of digital communications, in particular the Internet,
bandwidth is no longer scarce. What is now scarce is attention. In this
setup the importance of a journal is not its role in efficiently sharing
reproduction and distribution costs but its role as a filtering
mechanism. However, while when distribution is central it is natural to
`add-in' filtering, it is not natural, or necessary, to tie distribution
in to filtering when filtering is central. In fact it seems clear that
distribution and filtering can be done entirely separately (i.e. one can
have two instruments focused on distribution and filtering
respectively). The Open Access movement can be seen as largely about
achieving this separation: with open access there is no longer a
connection between access/distribution (which would be free) and the
filtering mechanism (the choice of which articles go in a particular
journal).

That said the `Open Access' movement still has a large focus on journals
-- albeit open-access ones. This, in our view, is a mistake. Technology
has also affected possibilities for filtering. In particular it is no
longer clear why the centralized mechanism of official peer-review and
journals is superior to alternative decentralized options. The last
decade, has witnessed widespread, and often successful, experimentation
with distributed voting and evaluation mechanisms (for example
Slashdot's story-ratings and Google's link-based site rankings).

Thus, to be more radical, it may make sense not only to remove
centralized control of distribution but also centralized control of
filtering. A more distributed (market-like?) filtering mechanism would
permit the same freedom (and same status?) to participate in reviewing
and recommendation as it does in the production of scholarly
information. At the same time it would deliver greater transparency, and
by permitting `free-entry' in filtering, would allow greater
specialization, greater diversity, increased participation and greater
competition.

As such, the gains from going 'open' are not simply wider access, but a
reduction in the time and energy scholars spend finding and processing
research information. Significantly, this second item, which is less
frequently mentioned in discussions of 'Open *Access*', may well be the
most significant.