[okfn-discuss] Open Participatory Research

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jul 17 17:09:17 UTC 2008

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> This sounds like a great initiative. Looking at the wiki I was
> particularly struck by your mention of 'Open Peer Review'. This is
> something I've recently been thinking about quite a bit in the context
> of an economics paper I'm writing with an academic colleague on the
> subject of efficient dissemination of scholarly information. This is
> still at an early stage  but the basic ideas in it are set out in the
> introduction a portion of which I include below (for those who prefer
> things with a url I've just posted online at [1])

I completely agree, the possibilities of modern technology (such as the
Web, social networks, semantic technologies) are by far not yet
exhausted in the scientific world. A crucial aspect of peer-review and
filtering is also the reward dimension. Researchers whose work pass a
thorough review process and are accepted at a journal or conference with
much filtering (aka low acceptance rate) are rewarded with a prestigious
publication, which beautifies the CV and the track record. An open peer
review would have to provide a similar reward mechanism.

Within our ParticipatoryResearch concept there will still be heavy
filtering, since grant money is limited as opposed to shelf space on the
Web. BTW: Looks like first discussions are currently starting within the
EU how FP8 will be tailored - I sent out information and pointers to
<http://wiki.cofundos.org> to some people there, but the matter will be
urged a little more if we could get some more support statements at:

<http://wiki.cofundos.org/Supporters>

I would be very thankful if you would add yourself or invite your
friends and colleagues to do so too.

Cheers,

Sören