[okfn-discuss] Licenses for open knowledge represented in triples

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Mar 19 15:24:30 UTC 2008

Hi all,

some days ago we released Triplify [1] - a small plugin for database
backed Web applications (such as Drupal, WordPress, WackoWiki), which
exposes the content of your Web site as RDF, Linked Data and JSON and is
extremely easy to deploy.
We hope this will increase the amount of machine processable
open-knowledge on the Web dramatically.
For the next release of Triplify we are thinking about adding a feature
to reference some kind of a license from the content published by Triplify.
Are there any ideas, what would be good licenses to that purpose: I
guess licenses for text, images etc. are not very suitable, because e.g.
it is unclear what it means to be a derived work (from perspective of a
set of RDF triples) or how to express an attribution. I guess for our
purposes a very liberal license (allowing basically everything without
any limitations) would be sufficient for now.

Best,

Sören

[1] http://Triplify