[okfn-discuss] New infrastructure working group

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Aug 18 22:05:55 UTC 2009

Dear Andrius,

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas<ms at ms.lt> wrote:
> What are ways that we might work in synergy with Open Knowledge Foundation?

Many thanks for the re-iteration of your kind offer to pledge
volunteer time at the Open Knowledge Foundation!

Below are some suggestions of things which we need help with, which I
also sent you in June and July.

Just to reiterate a couple of things that would be really useful:

  1. Translating the Open Knowledge Definition into languages not
already listed on http://opendefinition.org/
  2. Adding open government data from different jurisdictions to CKAN
(e.g. national statistics, postcode data, geodata, ...) as in
http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan/eutransparency

Also if you know any graphic designers there is plenty of design work
that we would love to do!

There is also a big list of things to do on our task tracker:

  http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/query

The best thing to do, is probably to let me know who might be
interested in doing what, and to set a day (preferably a Tuesday
sometime over the next few weeks) when we can coordinate via IRC,
phone or Skype!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

---

    Many thanks for your message and for your kind pledge of twenty hours
    of volunteer time! There are plenty of things volunteers could do to
    help at the OKF. It would be great to hear more about the interests of
    the participants who might work with us.

    A few immediate things that I can think of:

     * Translating the Open Knowledge Definition (opendefinition.org)
     * Curating/archiving books at Open Text Book (opentextbook.org)
     * Registering open data on CKAN (ckan.net)
     * Book design for Open Shakespeare (openshakespeare.org)

    There is some more information on volunteering at the OKF below...

    Warm regards,

Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org

--

## Volunteer with the Open Knowledge Foundation! ##

The Open Knowledge Foundation (http://www.okfn.org) is a
not-for-profit organisation that promotes knowledge that can be freely
used, reused and redistributed - from sonnets to statistics, genes to
geodata. It hosts a wide variety of volunteer driven projects and
working groups that aim to produce and distribute open knowledge.

Whether you are interested in making new editions of literary works in
the public domain, making interactive visualisations of socioeconomic
data, or in sharing textbooks for educational projects - there is sure
to be something of interest! Current projects requiring volunteers
include:

* Open Shakespeare and Open Milton: complete editions of Shakespeare
and Milton's works along with tools for analysing the texts - freely
available for anyone to use or share. We need volunteers to proof edit
and format texts, or even to create an original book cover design for
a print edition of the plays!

* Open Text Book: one of the primary online listings and repositories
of textbooks free to access, build on and re-distribute. We need the
assistance of a part-time editor to curate and extend our current
listing and blog about new finds.

* Open Economics "Where Does My Money Go": developer and researcher
needed to develop prize-winning "Where Does My Money Go" project
proposal which aims to help citizens make sense of UK government
finance.

* European Open Data Inventory: Just launched in Brussels - the
project aims to track down and document official information  from
public bodies across Europe. Get stuck into the budgets, socioeconomic
information, environmental data or parliamentary transcripts behind
the headlines!

* Public Domain Works: help to chart which works have fallen out of
copyright in different jurisdictions around the world. Find out more
about intellectual property law and help to expose literary works or
sound recordings which are in the public domain.

Whether you've got a few spare hours or a few weeks over the summer -
we'd love to hear from you! For further details contact us at
info at okfn.org.
--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator