[okfn-discuss] New infrastructure working group

Andrius Kulikauskas ms at ms.lt
Sat Aug 22 21:22:54 UTC 2009

Jonathan, Thank you for your reply.

It will take some time because of the way I'm approaching this. I want
to build a culture of workers who do earn money but not tit-for-tat.
I've started a task list http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks and
included several that you mention including translating the Open
Knowledge Definition, which is good practice for us.

I share my letter which I wrote. Also, Franz Nahrada alerts us: "Michel
Bauwens, Phoebe Moore, Nathans Cravens and others are convocating a
workshop on virtual collaboration platforms in Manchester also at the
beginning of November. I alert Andrius and those in our network active
on the tools side to see if they can participate. I see very important
practical endavours emerge from there."

Andrius Kulikauskas

Tasks for our Economy of Dreams

I invite our help to create an "Economy of Dreams".

Write about your life's dream... What do you wish to do with your life?
What would you like to happen? How can we help?

I'm collecting answers at our wiki:
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Dreams
We can also make a survey about our life's dreams.

I also invite our help with the many tasks at our lab. I have started a
list:
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks

You can add a task to our list by going to any wiki page and adding
metadata:
* TaskUpdated = 20090823 or whatever today's date is, in such numeric
form (2009, August, 23)
* TaskTeam = write your name and others who are helping
* TaskToDo = write what needs to be done, what you need help with that
others might do
* TaskDone = write this as the task is underway or completely finished
In this way, we end up with two lists, for "tasks to do" and for "tasks
done" at
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks
and then we can pay attention to those who have been helping us.

It's very important for me that we help as a team with all of the work
at our lab. Many of us have benefited from Minciu Sodas and Worknets. I
make sure to pay us in advance for work so that we don't work on
speculation, we don't work without guarantee of pay, especially if we
are poor. Of course, I also encourage us to work for free on our own
projects.

For our Economy of Dreams we also need to be able to help each other
without pay. If we know each other's dreams, then we can help each other
directly, and that can be much more efficient than converting everything
to money, which often leads to all kinds of waste because we may avoid
working together. So I ask us to help with our many tasks so that our
leaders - I and Franz and Janet and Edward and Samwel... - can be free
to focus on those things that others can't do for us. (I also have such
a list, see AndriusTask at http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgiTasks)

I believe that if you help with our tasks, then others will help you,
too. But furthermore, if you help with our tasks, then when I get paid
work for our lab, then my priority will be to include you. And if you
are doing a lot of tasks then I will make an effort to pay you, too. I
want to avoid a "tit-for-tat" approach and instead want to be supportive
of those who are supportive of us all.

Dennis Kimambo will be online all this coming week to help me and
others. Fred Kayiwa is also interested. I invite Sasha Mrkailo, Thomas
Chepaitis and all who would like to join us when I find paid work in the
future. I also invite Franz, Edward, Janet, Samwel and all to let us
know how we can help you.

I share below my chat with Fred.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
ms at ms.lt

[21:02:54] kayiwa fred: hi Andrius
[21:03:42] Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Fred, how are you? Are you free now?
Can we chat in the chat room?
[21:04:40] kayiwa fred: yes
[21:04:43] Andrius Kulikauskas: ok see you there
[21:05:08] kayiwa fred: some times slow connections fails me but let me
try there
[21:12:23] … am failing to sign in the net is on and off
[21:12:26] Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Fred it seems that you can't write
[21:12:28] … yes
[21:12:47] … can you see our Task page:
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks
[21:12:57] … there is a list of tasks that you can choose from and help with
[21:13:09] … and then I can see who is helping with our tasks
[21:13:12] kayiwa fred: but am fine just looking ahead for my school again
[21:13:13] Andrius Kulikauskas: and then reward the people who do
[21:13:25] … with paid work and travel and help with their projects.
[21:13:27] … Is that fine?
[21:13:31] … can you help?
[21:13:57] … Also, can you write to us about your dreams? What would you
like to work on or accomplish? How do you want to live your life?
[21:14:02] kayiwa fred: let me check the link
[21:14:02] Andrius Kulikauskas: What do you want to do with your life?
[21:14:04] … ok
[21:15:35] kayiwa fred: the link is not opening but will keep trying
[21:15:42] … besides whats all about these tasks
[21:16:28] Andrius Kulikauskas: So I have a list of tasks
[21:16:35] … and I am also collecting our dreams.
[21:16:44] … And if you help with our tasks then we help with your dreams.
[21:16:47] … One task is:
[21:17:03] … Ask Fred to get solar panels from Graham Knight and report
to us on the business possibilities.
[21:17:21] … Are you in touch with Graham Knight and is he sending you
solar panels?
[21:18:14] … Because I think you are a good entrepreneur and you can see
what the possibilities are for selling them. They are small, inexpensive
solar panels that produce enough electricity to charge a mobile phone
and that can be useful in the villages.
[21:21:04] kayiwa fred: yes we are in tough but he has taken long to
communicate
[21:21:09] … i should send him an email now
[21:21:12] Andrius Kulikauskas: ok that is fine
[21:21:16] … ok you understand, yes?
[21:21:28] … because he has had trouble helping anybody start a business
[21:21:33] … But I think you are good at business
[21:21:39] … and you can advise me what is possible.
[21:21:44] … yes?
[21:22:17] kayiwa fred: yes i can advsie where i can
[21:22:29] … i have never seen these solar pannels my self
[21:22:38] … i wonder if he gives them for free at first
[21:22:44] Andrius Kulikauskas: Yes he sends you free samples
[21:23:00] … and then he wants you to sell them and buy more at cost
[21:23:08] … so you can profit from it
[21:23:17] … or at least let me and us know
[21:23:20] … what the obstacles are.
[21:23:33] … You can find somebody else who might do the business.
[21:24:12] kayiwa fred: yes the good thing would be to first have the
samples with me
[21:25:57] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes and you can send your letter to our
group, too, yes?
[21:26:13] kayiwa fred: perfect
[21:26:47] … so Andrius if i may ask
[21:27:09] … where do u need my help on the tasks link you sent me
[21:28:02] Andrius Kulikauskas: any task that you see on the list, you
can help with
[21:28:39] … for example: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Luxsonjay
[21:28:48] … he approached us at our wiki and we need to reply and
invite him
[21:29:13] … what African languages do you know? we need to translate:
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?OpenKnowledgeDefinition
[21:29:17] … into different languages
[21:29:41] … we need to move wiki pages related to
http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MathEncyclopedia to the EarthTreasury
subwiki
[21:29:52] kayiwa fred: i only know my languange and its not international
[21:30:00] Andrius Kulikauskas: that's fine, what is it?
[21:30:18] kayiwa fred: luganda
[21:30:28] Andrius Kulikauskas: is it popular in Uganda?
[21:30:40] … do you have a national language?
[21:31:59] kayiwa fred: we hve over 25 and more languanges
[21:32:17] … but LUGANDA NAD ENGLISH IS widely spoken in uganda
[21:32:45] … 50% can understand it
[21:34:30] … let me be back soon Andrius
[21:34:58] Andrius Kulikauskas: ok by
[21:42:00] kayiwa fred: ok Andrius let me go and eat then in morning i
go through the tasks and will let you know how i can help
[21:43:24] Andrius Kulikauskas: that's fantastic and also Dennis will
help this coming week
[21:43:27] … maybe you can train him
[21:43:32] … and I will share our chat
[21:43:43] kayiwa fred: perfcte
[21:44:06] … i know u will train me first but let me go it through
[21:44:13] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes