[okfn-discuss] Tools for collaboratively developing online bibliographic indexes

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Tue Dec 1 00:35:46 UTC 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Finn, Puneet: I've known about Mendeley for a while (via Victor
> Henning) but have yet to investigate. Puneet - does it have good
> export functions,

Exports to Endnote XML, RIS, and BibTex.

> and do you know how easy it would be to
> collaboratively edit bibliographies?

You create a shared biblio, and invite other Mendeley users. Say, you
and I are collaborating on a project, such as co-authoring a paper,
and we have divvied up our work. You invite me to your shared biblio,
and I join it. As I add stuff to the shared collection, it shows up on
your Mendeley Desktop, and vice versa.

Of course, our Mendeley Desktops sync with our respective web accounts
as well, so all collections are accessible from anywhere.

It really is very simple.

> Also I would really want to
> specific that the bibliographic data I contributed was open (ideally
> in the public domain)...

You can make a biblio data a public collection, and even sync the
attachments (the actual PDFs of the papers/articles) so they reside on
your Mendeley web account, accessible by everyone.

Puneet.